Collection: Part 1

Outcomes

Ideas Factory

Concept:

This artwork seeks to express the idea of individual utopias. In his collection of utopias in literature, John Cary writes: 'Most utopias reform the world, some reform the self. They suggest that if only you were to look at the world, with all its imperfections; in the right way... you would be secluded in your personal utopia, irrespective of what was going on outside.' I believe this is true, and to take it a step further, I believe a lot of people, including myself, are already living in their own bubble of utopia. There are many reasons for this: you cannot occupy yourself with all the pain and suffering in the world, you realise the near impossibility of solving all of these problems, or maybe it is in a hedonistic approach to life. Whatever it may be, a lot of us ignore or are at least indifferent to the horrible tragedies occurring everyday. 

Notes: My belief in personal utopias was challenge by my peer. She argued that you cannot judge pain, that is to say pain is subjective, and therefore I cannot argue that my pain is greater than yours. If I feel personal pain and suffering then how can I be living in a personal utopia? I say, then you are not living in a person utopia, it is those that ignore your pain that are. Perhaps a positive interpretation of my artwork would be to escape our personal delusions and become more empathetic. Still, no matter how much you decide to care, you cannot physically occupy yourself with all the pain and suffering in the world, thus you will unwillingly be in a personal utopia. 

Below: Visualisation of final artwork. 

Outcome

Collection Outcomes

Collection

Concept: This project originally began with the idea of capturing emotions, which then turned into capturing a momentary smile. I first arranged these photographs separately, however I wanted to show the effect of the joke. So I decided to display a before and after collection, yet it still wasn't able to show the subtle changes in facial expression that was captured through burst photography. My final arrangement most effectively shows this transition, using photoshop I blended 4 photographs together. This not only shows the subtle facial changes but also creates a sense of movement and direction. This dynamic element parallels the excitement of both myself and the models during this process. Additionally, I wrote the joke on a long piece of paper, therefore by following the photographs left to right, the viewer can simultaneously read the joke. This enhances their understanding of the photographic collection and gives them an insight into the process it involved. 

Below: Final render of photographs. Size per photograph: A3.

Final Critique Presentation

Section of collection

Section of collection

Section of collection

Re-edit

Title: Why are you dying Mama?

Medium: Film

"Why are you dying Mama?"

Altered Spaces

Material News - Process

Material News - Final Outcome

Place: Plinth

Place: Final Outcome